Re: Appropriate tires for 16" wheels.

To: "Bourne, Darryl" <darryl.bourne@rbc.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Appropriate tires for 16" wheels.
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:18:55 -0700 (PDT)
Darryl,
I'd recommend 205/45-16 all around unless your rear fenders are flared.
I have 205/45-16 on front (which maintains the correct rolling diameter
and is same size on my Miata), and 225/45-16 on rear, but the 225s fit
because I have a customer coil-over rear suspension with the same rear
wheel offset as the fronts. I'd expect they'll rub the leaf springs or
fender lip on a stock Tiger. Make sure you verify the wheel offsets and
get them on the correct end of the car, as I beleive the front and rear
should have different offsets for a normal Tiger suspension. If in
doubt, ask Dale.

The tire sizes you list will be too big outside diameter and have
interference problems, especially up front.

I currently run Yokohama ES100, but will not buy those again.

Toyo TS1's are very good, but not the best price/performance value.

My next purchase will be either Kuhmo Ecsta SPT, Avon Tech M500 or
General Exclaim UHP. The generals have incredibly strong survey
feedback on Tirerack.com and are about the lowest priced in the
ultra-high performance summer tire category.

See URL:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP&width=205%2F&ratio=45&diameter=16&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=1991&autoModel=Miata&autoModClar=&minSpeedRating=H&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y