Re: Driving me crazy Tiger

To: Ron Fraser <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Subject: Re: Driving me crazy Tiger
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:58:07 -0700
Mark L.,

Ron, as always, gives good advice.  I have been running a Pertronix I
for years, with no problems.

According to the installation manual, there is a difference in the
dropping resistor if the coil is stock,
or a "hot" coil.  And "no" dropping resistor is not an option.  The
Pertronix 1 switching itself is current
 restricted.

The Pertronix II, which is still in it's factory box, has a much
sturdier solid state switch, and can handle the current -

IF the coil can run as a 12 volt.  Original coils are still really "9
volt" windings, which is the reason for the dropping resistor.

Special ignition circuit wiring allows the full 12 volts to pass, but
only during the ignition cranking position.

When all else fails, follow the printed manufacturers recommendation.  I
used the included P-I resistor with the stock coil.

A high speed misfire could very well be circuit overload from improper
wiring or components.

Luck,

___
Steve Laifman