RE: soft top boot

To: "Owain Lloyd" <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: soft top boot
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:36:04 -0600
The two lift-the-dot studs that are attached to the top of the central
piece of the boot are used to hold it up inside the car when you've got
the soft top up. There should be corresponding straps with a mating
fastener inside the soft top. If you got a Mk1 soft top then the straps
won't be there, since it had the steel clamshell boot.

Looks to me like you've just got the boot arranged too far rearward (in
pic 2305). Even though there are cutouts for the trunk hinges, the boot
itself doesn't touch or overlap the hinges. On my Tiger, the boot is
hooked and riveted onto the top edge of the rear bulkhead (where you've
got the roll finisher with the snap studs). I don't have the snap studs.

It takes some practice and careful arrangement of the top cloth and
frame to get it to fold down properly so that everything fits inside the
space and so the boot will cover the top without being stretched. Dick
Barker has in the past emailed out a scan of the owner's manual
supplement that shows the factory way of stowing the top... It works. I
can try to dig that up out of my archives.

Best regards,
Theo