Re: Upper/Lower Ball joint boots

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>, tigers@autox.team.net, Bruce
Subject: Re: Upper/Lower Ball joint boots
From: Gary Crandall <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:46:34 -0700 (PDT)
Here a note I wrote for the CAT and STOA newsletters several years ago. I just
checked the Bus Boys website again and they still carry them - $1.80 each - ask
for 'Ball Joint Boot'

  While rebuilding the front suspension on my car, I realized I needed new
dustcovers for the lower balljoints. The car had been stored outside under a
tarp for 18 years and although the balljoints were fine, the rubber dustcovers
were rotten. I didn't want to pay the price for a set of new balljoints (SS -
$89, CS - $125), so I searched around for just the dustcovers. The Tigers
United tech tips stated that the dust covers from a Type II VW Bus (~'72-'77)
were a good match, part #211-401-375. Volkswagen dealers sell just the
dustcovers for over $20 each. A local VW parts house sells the entire Type II
balljoint for $16.95 each. I purchased a complete VW balljoint to see if the
dustcover fit and it did. I was ready to purchase another one, save the rubber
dust covers and throw away the balljoints, when I decided to try the internet
one more time. Bingo! I found the dustcovers for $1.50 apiece at Bus Boys Inc
VW parts, 183 Lake Blvd East, Redding, CA, (530) 244-1616,
 www.bus-boys.com. The shipping was actually more than the parts themselves.

  Good luck,

  Gary

Looking for earth-friendly autos?