[Tigers] unrestored classics - New York Times

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] unrestored classics - New York Times
From: Steven silverstein <milano164@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:47:59 -0400
The New York Times story was a very good article.   Over the years I
have been involved with the VSCCA, a racing organization that really
focuses on the preservation of sports cars as they are.    In fact,
there are a number of really great un-restored cars I race with
including Sandy Lieth's Bugatti and Sandi McNiel's 250GTO.   Of
course all these cars have been "refurbished" mechanically but still
very true to their originality... and they race them.

In fact, it was many of the VSCCA members who convinced me to leave
the Sports Car Forum Alpine alone and try and keep it as original as
possible.   Sure, it looks crusty when compared to many of the
restored cars but I think it draws just as much attention.

I would like to see more cars left alone.  In fact, it makes me think
I should leave the MkII we recently bought as it is - taking care of
mechanical issues - but leaving as much alone as possible.

Steve Silverstein

BTW< the black Series II Alpine which is "as is, 1968..." took a 3rd
in class at the Lime Rock Concours.  I thought it was generous that
the judges award the place to the Alpine but I also think they really
appreciated the preserved look.   (I was surprised how much the Black
paint DID buff out!  Almost too shinny.  If you could see the garage
pictures when it was found you'd understand.  I think the dirt
preserved the paint)

http://www.saoca.org/gallery/IMG_1607.jpg

http://www.saoca.org/gallery/P1030322_2.jpg

http://www.saoca.org/gallery/IMG_1604_2.jpg