[Tigers] World's Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe) continuin story

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Alpines
Subject: [Tigers] World's Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe) continuin story
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:26:24 -0700
Well, Jim Leach up in Seattle just reminded me that I need to update you
all on what's happing to the car. Here is what I just sent to him

WOS is not gonna happen this year, but maybe World Finals in october.  I
cooked one piston pretty  badly, trashed all the bearings and broke
some  rings on other pistons. Have the block cleaned up enough to make a
run or 2 and have a new set of pistons in hand. Just have to find a
place that can swap out the pistons and I am back in business. But also
want to rebalance the crank and have it micropolished. Just to take out
some of the minor damage...  I have new very much larger fuel injectors,
a new boost controller, new inconel exhaust valves. New solid copper
head gaskets, new exhaust header gaskets also solid copper as well as
header collector solid copper. I blew out a lot of gaskets, lol. HAve a
new ignition module for the distributor as well. Just need to put it all
back together now. Oh new main bearings on the way also, some trick
coated ones. New one piece pan gasket.   We are planning on WF but it
may rain out. Hope not, then the next outing will be Tigers United in
Big Bear...  Oh, I have planes for an ice water to air turbo charge air
intercooler. 360 degree air into the motor is just not good.  So things
are mushing along, just slowly. Has been hot enough here to dang near
melt lead, today being cool enough to actually work on the car for an
hour or 2.

The last week has been more in the nature of chasing parts, trying to
find suppliers, etc.  Lots of stuff supposed to hit here tomorrow, but I
am going to Las Vegas to find a shop ththat can swap the pistons out. I
don't know why the original motor used the crummy press fit pins, but
that's what they are and that's what I will stick with for this motor. I
will do things a bit differently in thenext motor: 331 cid, full
floating pistons and rods, H beam rods, total seal rings. Forged crank.
In any case, I am working to get it all back together. Assembly wont
take long, just the parts chasing consumes a lot of time.

more later

mayf