Re: [Tigers] Posi rear ends.

To: "Tigers@Autox. Team. Net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Posi rear ends.
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:02:31 -0500
I don't know this for a fact but I remember someone telling me that the old
mail trucks had a Dana 44 that was even the same width as a Tiger and that
they were posi.  The easiest way to tell if the rear end is a posi is to
jack up both back wheels and with the transmission in neutral, turn one of
the tires.  If they go the opposite way it is not a posi and if they both
turn the same way it is. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of Chrysler products
got a Dana 44 posi.  If no one else here knows, try finding a talk group
that knows a lot about Dodges and Plymouths.-- Bill --

The factory rear end in my Tiger is starting to make some noise so I figured
if I was going to rebuild it, I might as well upgrade to a posi carrier.
Am I correct in my belief that it's a Dana 44 rear end with 19 spline axles?
Is there a way to tell if it's an open or posi carrier just by looking at
it. What other vehicles would work as a donor? Of course, any insight or
"been
there, done that" would be appreciated. I have experience
with Ford 9"'s but never worked on a Dana.

Steve