Re: [Tigers] alpine on eBay...again

To: CMcCann@lwpb.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] alpine on eBay...again
From: JHef101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:43:50 EDT
In a message dated 9/13/2007 2:34:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CMcCann@lwpb.com writes:

Among others, I also told the guy with the blue Alpine on eBay that his
Tiger wasn't real, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt,
because maybe he was scammed and he didn't know the difference. He has
replied back to me asking for my help to determine exactly what the car
is. he seems like a nice guy and I think he wants to represent it
correctly, he just thought it was a Tiger because someone told him it
was.

his vin# 1AB9472286LRXFE....I cant remember what the years breaks were
in the numbers, and I have a b38200.. number so I'm a little ignorant
about b947's. I did have a 67 Alpine a few years ago that had a b947
number I think., but it was just a lrx....no "FE" which is a Tiger only
designation correct? So someone tried to put a tiger vin on it? I can
see on Tigers United the breakdown of vins for Tigers...but what about
Alpines? if it were the same for a 9472286....that would make it a 1964?

maybe we can compile a list of characteristics that would help him
figure it out.....or .....we could find something more productive to do
and not even mess with it. Or I could tell him to to talk to about it.

I know that there are others on this list more conversant than myself in this
so jump in if I am wrong. I too e-mailed the guy and queried him on the
history of his car and told him that it appeared to be an Alpine body with
Tiger
parts attached. As far as I know the 947xxxx series was limited to Tiger
production starting in April 1964. I haven't seen any Alpines that carried that
designation and I have owned in the past 63,64, and 66 Alpines. It would appear
that he possibly bought an Alpine that was converted to a Tiger from a basket
case donor car that included the VIN data plate and that he transposed or
misunderstood the numbers and included the 1A in front. What does the BON say
about
B9472286? It sort of sounds familiar.

Best,
Jeff Hefner