Re: [Tigers] wheels, tires, & suspension?

To: Cullen McCann <CMcCann@lwpb.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] wheels, tires, & suspension?
From: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:37:26 -0700
Cullen:
 From what I remember, the E-type IRS that was in my car hadn't had to
be narrowed.  The halfshafts looked unmolested.
I was thinking of getting a set of halfshafts from a later sedan (can't
remember why) and they were too wide.  I remember talking to a company
about narrowing them, and seem to recall that the company was concerned
about the halfshafts failing if they were shortened.  Not sure.  They
thought it would be stronger to build a pair more-or-less from scratch.
Just something to think about.
The 'cage' was the problem with my IRS--it restricted how far up into
the car the whole enchilada could be mounted, so the rear of the car
looked a little jacked-up.
But, the cage did provide its own mounting points for the shocks.
The cage was attached to the frame rails on the Tiger, similar to the
way it was on the original Jag.
Was hoping Robs car didn't suffer from the same maladies as mine.

What I didn't like were the trailing arms.  They moved at 90 degrees to
the halfshaft.  Something HAD to be binding. I thought an enlarged lower
A-arm would be ideal and Rob Beere sells just such a kit for E-type
racing that relocates the trailing arm into part of an extended A-arm
and gets rid of the rubber bushings.  Slick!
http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/suspension.html
Scroll about halfway down the page and look at the "A-frame rear
suspension".
Okay, maybe you're not racing the car, but I still think it works better
than the stock setup.

$3,500 for Beere's rear suspension mods, about the same for that newly
designed bolt-in Tiger front suspension and you've got a car that should
be pretty nifty!
:-)

Here's an article on rear-wheel steer and how to overcome it (I like the
Beere's mod better, but.....)
http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0009.html
I get the impression rear-wheel steer is more of a racing problem than a
street car problem.
I did correspond with Gary Hagopian--really helpful guy at answering my
questions!

So, Rob--pictures?

Best Regards
David