Re: [Tigers] SAAC goings on

To: <awtiger@cox.net>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SAAC goings on
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:32:22 -0700
I hadn't but after a cursory examination it looks like it's going to
(again?) cause a lot of division between the different Shelby-marque
groups.

Hypothetically speaking the same could happen within the Sunbeam
community if someone tries (again) to use any of the Sunbeam marques to
promote a new line of products, and especially if they seek trademark
registration in order to limit the way others use those marques. We had
the situation a couple of years ago with that guy marketing that South
American car and a lite-SUV as a Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine, respectively.
There was also some discussion about the motivations behind
TigersUnited.com back when Steve first put it together... A lot of "we
don't need an umbrella organization" etc.

I'm not trying to flog a dead horse by dragging this up, but just trying
to point out that we are not necessarily far from being put in the same
position as where the Shelby guys are right now. The last Sunbeam Tiger
trademark battle was fought with the assistance of a lot of Tigers
mailing list and Tiger club members who contributed donations to support
some court filings, and hopefully any future incidents will be met with
the same kind of solidarity from the Tiger community.

Theo