Re: [Tigers] Price climbs on Tigers

To: Drmoonstone@aol.com, rande@thecia.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Price climbs on Tigers
From: "Robert Bridgeford" <bobbridgeford@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:40:59 -0800
Irregardless of what we think of Shelby, Drmoonstone is certainly right
about the price climbing on our cars.  The January edition of Sports Car
Market has a nice price comparison of the 20 year appreciation of a Tiger, a
Morgan and an Italia.

Picking some price points, the Tiger was worth $15k in 1988, $28K in 2005,
and is valued at $55k this year.  This would be a decent "number 2" car,
with pricing based on sales data collected from auctions, dealers and other
commercial sources over the past year.  A perfect #1 car would be worth
considerably more, a rust bucket considerably less.

The question that we all face is  modified vs. originality.  The former is
certainly more in the spirit of the mainstream Tiger community which
embraces upgrades to electronics, carbs, headers, steering racks etc. The
latter may be closer to those who collect and preserve ( as contrasted with
drive ) their cars. The history of other marques suggests that originality
holds the greatest financial rewards.

Perhaps the most similar car in many ways is the Pantera.  A muscle car/
sports car underwritten by a major manufacturer, that car is also much
modified . Modifications generally raise the price when they allow greater
utility and speed.  However, the demand for original cars is  growing, and
they may soon be at par value with the modifieds.

Clearly, the only way to have our cake and eat it too, is for each of us to
own at least 2 Tigers....one for the road and competition and one for the
concours and as life insurance in our old age!

Bob Bridgeford
541 549 9539
Sisters OR 97759