Re: [Tigers] need a trailer for my tiger - questions

To: sganz@pacbell.net, peter.laurinaitis.wg02@wharton.upenn.edu,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] need a trailer for my tiger - questions
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 15:02:54 EST
I would agree, an open trailer is much less hassle, in general. This is
particularly true if you are looking at a "minimum" sized enclosed trailer, for

the reasons cited. The problem with the smaller enclosed trailers is you  just
don't have the room to really take advantage of what an enclosed  trailer can b
ring to the party, like a workbench w/ tools, compressor,  place to sit etc.
You do still have the ability to get the car out of the  elements, both while
towing and while in storage, but at a weight, cost and mpg  penalty...in most
cases, I just don't see the pay off.

If your car is not a concours participant, and you really want a trailer
just to get a car to events and back, I would not hesitate to go with an  open
trailer. Behind my motor home or Suburban, I've never had any road  damage on
any of my race or autocross cars, it's a quick process to load/unload,  they
are
very stable (tandem axle and proper tongue weight) and they're  inexpensive
(particularly since I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow one,  currently!).
The one thing I haven't worried about is the car on the trailer,  since I've
never towed the Tiger or other collector car of value...if someone  messes with
the car I race currently, it's just a matter of going to the  insurance company
or dealer to make right.

Haulmark is a big manufacturer and I've never heard any real gripes or  kudos
thrown their way. Pace American is another mainstream manufacturer who  seems
to have a good reputation for enclosed. The Featherlites are really nice  and
their open trailers are great. The other manufacturer who makes a really
slick open trailer is Sloane, with their "Kwik Load" roll back design. I've
used
one many times and love the convenience, particularly with a lowered car.

Of course, in a perfect world, a 24' to 28' enclosed would be nice  ;-)

If you're not sure, I'd suggest just buying a used trailer locally  (you can
find them all the time in the SCCA publications, craigslist etc.) and  trying
it out. Good to excellent open trailers can be had in the $1200-2000  range
and an enclosed trailer at the size you are looking at no more than  $6000.