Re: [Tigers] Steering rack gaiters

To: owain.lloyd@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Steering rack gaiters
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:05:06 -0800
At 03:38 AM 1/23/2008, you wrote:
>No the radiator (original size) is still in.  Does't look like this is
>going to be as easy as I hoped.  Oh well... Its time I flushed the
>coolant anyhow.

There's a point to be made here.  When working on a Tiger you will
often you will find that things that are not normally related, are
related to make the job faster and easier.  The steering column is
one of those "related" things.  Many jobs are simply much easier when
the column is pulled back or removed.  You don't normally think of
this but the removal of the column is a relatively quick
operation.  In your case, the removal of the radiator and hoses will
make the installation of the boots (gaiters) much easier. This is
especially true with your right hand drive Tiger. But, you still have
to get the cup of oil back into the rack.  The rod end or ends are
already loose (it's always recommended to change both boots at the
time of repair).  So the only things preventing you from removing the
rack are the 4 mounting bolts and the bottom U-joint bolt.  You have
to be careful with the bottom U-joint because there is no flat for
alignment as there is at the top U-joint.  Cleaning the Rack Pinion
enough to make a lasting mark to align the slot before you separate
the components will make this easier.  You will find that with the
column pulled back and the rack removed that the installation of the
boots will be much much quicker and easier.  I use a cup with a
tapered tube that fits the "open" hole in the casting for horizontal
filling, but standing it on-end with the pinion side up will also
work quite well.  I also recommend the use of a hose tool to help
stretch the boots and hoses into position.  If you don't have one in
your toolbox, you should.  It's a screwdriver handle with a round
tapered blade shaped like a bent number seven.  Let me know when
you're stateside again.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net