Re: [Tigers] (no subject)

To: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>, Tiger's Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] (no subject)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:32:53 -0700
Tony,
I saw on the TEAE forum where Tiger Tom Ehrhart (sp?) recommended the
use of the .480" knurl Moroso studs. They're 2-7/8" long or something
like that, and require that you drill the hubs slightly oversize. I
think he recommended a 15/32" drill bit, which is a small enough
oversize from the stock hole that you can use a hand drill if you take
care to get it as square as possible to the hub.

If you do this, then the best way I've found to install new studs is to
use a good nut (a lug nut threaded on backwards works fine) over top of
a pair of 7/16" washers, and then you can run the nut down onto the
washers until it pulls the stud into the hub. If the flange thickness is
insufficient to support the entire knurl, then you have to use a larger
washer (1/2") as the one right against the hub. Use anti-seize or some
other lubricant on the threads (not the knurl) when you do the
installation like this.

Also: If you decide to cut the studs, you'll need a couple of new
hacksaw blades and a really good thread die or some new needle files to
fix the threads afterwards... those studs are HARD.

Theo