Re: [Tigers] Removed hub= KROIL OIL

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Removed hub= KROIL OIL
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:24:46 -0800 (PST)
While Ive yet to locate longer than stock lug bolts-
that fit the Tiger hubs, I did manage to remove the
hub w/ broken lugs woithout making a special tool. I
only had 3 lug bolts, so I would have to use a short
bolt to make use of all four lugs. There isnt enough
room to replace a broken stud- just wont turn square-
I even had one shorter than stock which I thought was
broken- only to find the number 8 on the thread end
and the splined end has a much different than stock
champfer - if looking at the bottom end- had to have
been a replacement by some PO.

I did have a puller a friend insisted would work- it
had 3 arms and the part they hooked to and the push
bolt threads thru is round, so locating the arms is
very easy. Also they bolted on the studs properly. I
had applied Kroil oil- the stuff guranteed to
penetrate a millionth of an inch. I had used it at
different coal mines during my construction career and
purchased it by the gallon, in different types for the
landscaping business and future problems. The puller
didnt work. I use an impact to torque it down after
using so much Kroil oil I had a nice puddle on the
floor.Then tightened it more using the tool that came
with the puller- a wrench w/ a place to hammer on each
end(hole in middle)so I tightened it a bit more,
placed a 100 watt trouble light on top the end of the
hub and went home.A few days latter I returned to
retrieve my insulated coveralls- had to trench in a
new water line(always something and no water really
SUX)While at the shop I had high hopes the hubb had
popped off- instead the bulb wasnt even burning- short
in the trouble light- I decided to smack the end of
the push bolt a few good ones- I was frustrated. Then
I hit the slugging wrench and on the third swing the
hub popped loose- YES, I was smiling. Long story- Im
sorry BUT the kroil oil was on the key, about half way
down the length and also working its way thru the hub.
I was lucky and I see why you need the right puller or
do as advised and go to a Jeep dealer who has the tool
to work on Dana rearends- that advice came from a
pretty sharp member. Im still going to attempt the
other side BUT havent given up on the studs- MG place
sold me some and either I was reading my mic wrong or
he was as they are much larger than the few .0001s we
compared over the phone- they are the right thread and
much longer tho. Hope the post wasnt to long and
everyone is getting ready for spring as I look at the
fresh ice and snow we received today. regards to all,
TTT
PS- I advise everyone to purchase some Kroil oil- it
comes in spray as well and it raly works!!

Be a better friend, newshound, and