Re: [Tigers] Cat in the cold

To: "'Robert Bernardino'" <crbernardino@mac.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cat in the cold
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:13:23 -0500
I recall that you came from the south, so maybe you don't know about
this.  The problem is not the cold, but the salt that they use to melt
the ice on the roads this season.  Accelerates the rusting.  Even though
they didn't spread any that day, it's still there.  Have you noticed how
the sides of the roads look lighter than they did in the summer?  That's
the salt.  Being near the ocean doesn't help either.  Get a good storm
and the salt spray can go a surprising distance inland.  IIRC, Cape Cod
saw evidence of salt damage over a mile inland after a storm.

I'm in MA, right at the NE corner of RI.  I've driven it into January
when we haven't had any snow or ice.  My Tiger stays off the road until
we've had a couple really good spring rains, with no freezing and
salting after.  Usually mid April.

I had my Tiger out in some salt free snow once, for some photography,
and it's the most horrible car I ever drove in the snow.  Except maybe
the '79 Mercury Marquis wagon when the tires were almost done.  An inch
or two of snow and I couldn't get back up my driveway.

Stu Brennan