Re: [Tigers] Pusher fan

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pusher fan
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:48:27 -0700
Mark,
In my longest-time-ever engine swap saga, I installed a 1980's Toyota
Cressida pusher fan. In the Cressida it was mounted on the front of the
rad and AC condenser assembly. The fan is about 12" diameter. This fan
has a steel shroud with three mounting ears. One of the three ears was
at about the 5 o'clock orientation (viewed from the front) and aligned
with the lower rad support, so I drilled a hole there. The second one
was aligned at about 8 o'clock and missed everything, so I made a little
extension bracket that bridged from there to the lower rad support
(where there's an oval 1/4" hole in the support, on the angled part).
The third mount was at 12 o'clock and I bent it forward and down so it
matched the angle of the Tiger's cowling. I drilled and recessed a hole
in the right place on the cowl and that mounts the fan without any
direct link to the rad. Then I used some 1/2" weatherstrip rubber to
seal the gap between the fan shroud and the radiator.

I picked up a Painless Wiring fan harness. It has a relay, and a
thermoswitch, and the appropriate wiring to connect everything up. I
haven't yet got that mounted, but I put a pipe thread bushing in the
hot-side tank for the thermoswitch. I'm thinking that if that causes the
fan to come on early and more often, that's probably not a bad thing.

Theo