Re: [Tigers] please vote on my thread repair decision

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] please vote on my thread repair decision
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 22:15:17 -0600
The threads in question are 3/8-24, so having 1/4" of good thread would
give you six full threads. I forget what the torque spec on that mount
is, but you won't be able to get anywhere near the maximum torque that
the fastener would normally be rated at. The rule of thumb (from Carroll
Smith, IIRC) for full strength fastener engagement is that the thread
should be fully engaged over one and a half diameters, which would be
9/16".

The thing you're concerned with here is vibration related fretting and
having the threads eventually wear due to localized high stress. If you
use the longer bolt, then loc-tite (blue) it in place so you can at
least be reasonably sure it will stay there even if you can't tighten it
all the way to 50 foot pounds or whatever the proper torque is.

Theo