Re: [Tigers] Tiger / Alpine stock wheels

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger / Alpine stock wheels
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:04:55 -0500
I think you are right Jere.  The wheels on Tigers and Alpines probably
differ only in production groups.  A Tiger doesn't go around a corner as
fast as an Alpine as proven years ago in so many races so the side forces
which are the most devastating are less in the Tiger.  Either car could spin
the tires, and since current tires are a lot better that exacerbates the
problem also. There is no way Rootes made a different wheel for each type of
car that happened to look the same. If Lucas was involved, then maybe.
-- Bill --
 Listers:

I have heard stories and seen the affect of autocrossing on stock Tiger
wheels and they seem to be the weaker of the Tiger/Alpine wheel option.
Having spoken to several credible racers, some currently racing, some
racing in period, they all have said they had better longivity from the
Alpine wheels.  The Tiger wheels are prone to cracking around the wheel
stud holes from autocrossing.  I have no information regarding road
racing usage.

Finally, I have no clue as to the differences in Tiger/Alpine wheels.
Happy hunting!

Jere

I wonder if the Tiger stock wheels were the same as on some of the
husky/minx wagons and vans, the heavier commercial stuff.. have a friend
who says his late model minx has soe stong centred wheels.. come to
think of it.. that car had drop spindles too.. between those parts they
are probably worth more than the car

--
Regards

Michael King