[Tigers] Engine Woes

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Engine Woes
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 22:03:06 -0500
It might be possible to use a long rod and put your thumb over the rod and
the end of your thumb in your ear.  Put the rod on the block just above the
oil pan and see if it is louder in one place or another. You can even tell
which main is the problem (if it really is the problem) because the web of
the block goes right to the bearings from the edge where the oil pan
connects.  This works for alternator bearings and water pumps too however
you don't want a moving part somehow stuffing that rod through your head so
it goes without saying "BE CAREFUL". -- Bill --

Aside from Bill's theory, it might be an ignition crossfire. Check the
routing of the plug wires. It's different from your description, but
ignition arcing usually sounds like a sharp snapping sound. If a
cylinder was misfiring with one where the intake valve was open, you
could get carb backfires. The problem would be accompanied by the engine
running rough under load.

However, loud clattering sounds like bearings... it is possible to pull
the oil pan and remove the main bearing caps (at least #2, 3, and 4) and
check out the bearing shells. It's a pain to do but if you did catch
that problem before you're left with a seized engine you'll save
yourself a lot of cost in replacement parts and machining.

Theo