[Tigers] A Sophomoric Discussion on Advance Techniques

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] A Sophomoric Discussion on Advance Techniques
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:45:43 -0400
A quiet point not often remembered in USian car circles.

European cars, in general, were generally set up
until modern times (say, the later 1970's) to
have their advance set "static".  That is, with
the engine NOT running.  To put it bluntly, you have:

--  the static advance angle
--  the centrifugal advance addition to the static angle
--  the vacuum advance addition to the static and centrifugal angles

Or, in some cases, there were distributors
without a vacuum advance or lacking a centrifugal
advance, so that situation got a bit cleaner.

US cars after, roughly, 1960, were timed while
running with a strobe light.  European cars were
timed when not running with a simple bulb
arrangement.  Rootes insisted on a static timing method.

But understand this:

STATIC timing is set with the engine turned off
DYNAMIC timing is set with the engine running

These are two different universes in a a lot of regards.

If it were me, I'd avoid any sort of vacuum
advance as that is only a flabby excuse for
wasting efficiency while blocking performance driving, but, then, that is me.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!