Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Two

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Two
From: "Shaun Laughy" <tigerv8@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:29:58 -0400
Sorry to respond to my own post, but I just remembered that I received a
binder of information when I got the car.  I have just looked through
it, and have found some information that indicates that I am probably
wrong on the distributor.  Buried in the back of the binder, is an old,
handwritten description of the mechanicals that reads as follows:

Rebuilt 5-bolt 289 with HiPo damper, ARP rod bolts, hydraulic HiPo cam,
gasket-matched intake & exhaust ports, stainless steel 289 valves,
screw-in studs, double timing chain (HiPo), high-volume oil-pump,
aluminized headers, windage tray.

-       dual-point distributor (Mallory)
-       Holley 600 carburetor
-       rebuilt clutch & pressure plate
-       wide-ratio transmission (rebuilt)
-       radiator (recored)
-       rebuilt & powder coated suspension

So, although I can't see any markings, I would assume that the
distributor is still the Mallory unit.  I know that the previous owner
had the electronic module installed while he owned it, so it would make
sense that he decided upon the Mallory Unilite module to go with the
Mallory distributor.

Looking further at the description, it would seem that the engine
already has a double-roller timing set, and I would assume that this
also means that, by necessity, it doesn't have the nylon timing gears.
Considering the small amount of mileage that the car has had for the
past several years, it seems unlikely that the timing set would be the
problem.  I think I am going to start by replacing the distributor with
a new vacuum advance unit.

I wish I had found this information sooner!  Thanks again to everyone
for all the help.

Shaun