Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Two

To: "Shaun Laughy" <tigerv8@rogers.com>, "Jerry"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Two
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:52:48 -0600
If you use good plug wires and don't go silly on the plug gaps, then you
can use the standard cap and rotor even if you're running Duraspark guts
in your distributor. I don't know offhand if the old-school cap will fit
on the Duraspark era distributors without modifying something somewhere.

I built a hybrid distributor a few years ago - started with a
points-type distributor and removed the advance plate and the upper
distributor shaft (the part with the points cam etc). Then I put in a
duraspark distributor's upper shaft and advance plate. I also welded and
ground the advance plate to limit the mechanical advance to about 26
degrees. Then I wired the reluctor coil directly to an MSD6AL. If you
wanted to you could sneak the two wires inside a piece of heatshrink and
it would look almost exactly like a points distributor from the outside.
Come to think of it, I used the wide style cap on this distributor so I
guess the old style cap should fit on the Duraspark era distributors.

The early transistorized ignitions have heat tolerance issues. If you're
going to use one of these (Duraspark, the GM HEI module, or what have
you) then it might be a good idea to mount it in the wheel well or in
the front valence area. That way it's out of sight, too... But don't
bundle the ignition coil wires with the distributor sensor wires.

Theo