Re: [Tigers] flywheel surprise

To: <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, "'Tiger's Den'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] flywheel surprise
From: "Jerry" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:34:45 -0500
Owain,

I just talked to my engine man and he says;

If you had a wrong weight flywheel the vibration would be tremendous, so it
doesn't sound like that's the problem.

He said to identify the proper crankshaft you have to drop the pan to see
the stampings on the crank i.e. 2MA or 2MAE these would be the 50 oz. the 28
oz. are numbers like 1M. Also the numbers stamped on the damper will be like
E0 which is a 50 oz. whereas 9D would be 28 oz.

I would think that if you look at the numbers of the damper, (he said they
are on the outside like the timing marks) and find that their of the 50oz
era you could probably be assured that it is in fact a 50oz rotating mass
and not have to remove the pan.

On another note a friend of mine has a $70K 65 retro Mustang w/347 eng. with
5 speed and we used a SPEC (SF483HTK) clutch and pressure that he likes very
well. I'm not that familiar with it other than installing it for him, but
just providing information of another option. They're located in Bessemer
Alabama outside of Birmingham. Several of the Mustang guys around here have
them and like them.

Also, if I'm not mistaken it's the camshaft that determines the firing order
not the crankshaft. I changed to a roller cam and had to change the timing
order.

Jerry Christopherson