Re: [Tigers] Nano cars with motorcycle engines

To: <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nano cars with motorcycle engines
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:40:49 -0400
Jay, both the EU and USA EPA measure emissions based on grams per mile
(or kilometer), small motorcycle engines will put out so little per mile
they can pass without much control, so technically they are dirtier.
Most larger bikes have stringent emission controls, European bikes have
had catalytic converters for years. Now that our EPA has adopted the EU
Tier II emissions standards, all bikes will be much cleaner.

Even Harley passes these new requirements with flying colors. Of course,
the first thing one does after acquiring a new product from The Motor
Company is to add a louder exhaust, a free-flowing intake, and rejet the
carb or re-program the computer module all in the name of added
performance, i.e., noise. This of course negates much of the factory's
emission control hard work. With the new 2010 laws restricting emission
tampering, that too will be curtailed.

The EPA started to regulate motorcycles in 1980, that first step
basically outlawed 2-stroke engines over 50 cc, only the Yamaha RZ350
survived, it needed cat-cons to pass. Those laws were never changed on a
national level until last year. However, the California regs have always
been much tighter than the Feds and bike manufacturers have generally
met those requirements nation-wide, so bikes have been much cleaner than
they needed to be by law in the other 49.

Of course, none of MY bikes have ever been tampered with, they're all
completely stock...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Bugz