Re: [Tigers] Off Topic Replicator Bots

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic Replicator Bots
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:54:10 -0400
It's called Stereo Lithography (SLA), I have two machines here in the
lab for making prototypes and low-volume die-casting molds. The system
takes files from our Solidworks or ProE CAD systems and builds a 3-D
model. For "reverse-engineering", we also have a laser CMM scanner for
direct physical input.

There are now a host of engineering polymers available for SLA machines,
we have the ability to make parts which can withstand 180 degrees C.
Other polymers will make parts strong enough to produce complex linkages
or even gear trains. It's a good thing too, as we have lost most of the
skilled tool & die makers who used to do our model shop work.

Bugz