Re: [Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Alpines"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...
From: "Will Seay" <wseay@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 09:45:32 -0400
mayf,

I think the idea behind the Panhard rod is to keep the rear end and axle
from rotating on torque reaction.  When lots of torque is transmitted to the
rear end, it tends to rotate (in the axis along the drive shaft).  This
results in applying more pressure to one spring and less to the other.  Not
a good thing.  The Panhard rod is supposed to keep this from happening.
When the rear end tries to rotate, the Panhard rod is supposed to go into
tension (or is it compression?) to keep the rear end from rotating.  Our
Limey friends, when they put a Panhard rod in the Tiger, assumed that the
Ford engine rotated in the same direction that British engines do.  Well it
doesn't.  As a result, MK1 and MK1A Tigers have the Panhard rod attached to
the wrong side of the car.  Maybe it has something to do with driving on the
wrong side of the road or something like that.  I guess the arrangement
would be correct for an Alpine, if they put a Panhard rod on the Alpine.
Anyhow, in a MK1/1A the Panhard rod pushes when it should pull.  Maybe
that's why they like to tear out, but I doubt it.  This was corrected in the
MKII.

- Will B382001570
Will Seay wseay@embarqmail.com