Re: [Tigers] rust remover

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] rust remover
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:40:59 -0500
I didn't realize when I made my first post about the PPG product that I have
some Evapo-rust. I found it in my paint cabinet and recognized the name from
these posts.  Someone gave me four or five of them to try about 2 years ago.
I tried them a little and poured one of the containers out and put some of
the PPG stuff in it and gave it back to let him try.  I do know that the PPG
stuff will dry your skin and long term use might be much worse whereas the
Evapo-rust chemical seems to be and is claimed to be very mild.  The PPG
chemical works at least 10 times as well but the difference is whether you
can still find it and are you willing to use a stronger and hence possibly
more dangerous chemical.  I got a lot of this stuff on my hands when I used
it to paint cars a long time ago and it didn't bother me but that is no
guarantee that it won't bother someone else.  It is important to follow all
directions because they cover all people. -- Bill --

Gary & All Listers,

I have used Evapo-rust. Works great! Does what is stated and won't affect
rubber, plastic, paint (unless rust is under paint), chrome, brass, etc. The
only bad thing is it does not last forever. I did use the heck out of it for
four months before it got very weak. It starts clear but will turn black
with
use. Works like a charm on cast iron. Just be sure to treat the metal after
dipping and cleaning or it does start rusting quickly. Make sure the piece
you
are dipping is grease free. I highly recommend it. I have yet to try
rust-beeter supposedly made from beets.
Dave Green & B9472549LRXFE (Miss Kitty)