[Tigers] Bonneville Salt Flats Bound...

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Alpines
Subject: [Tigers] Bonneville Salt Flats Bound...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:24:38 -0700
Well, it is time for me to fill everybody in on where the Sunbeam is and
where it is going. There were many modifications to the car this off
season. I added a third rool cage hoop, added tthe lateral head support
(now required), dropped th e driver seat dowm 1 3/8 inches, sent my
parachute to the manufacturer for an inspection and repair as necessary,
ditto the drivers suit jacket (the sleeve some how got burned and had
actually been on fire says the manufacturer), fabricated new headers
(whew! what a task), changed from twin turbos to one T72, had the
headers coated by Caps Bright Hot Coatings (great folk!), remade the
rear diagonal link locator for the 4 bar suspension, modified the
throttl ebody hat, modified the throttle body spacer to the manifold,
purchase two new ear wheels from Diamond Racing Wheels and had the
bonneville tires mounted and balanced.  Also made a new remote oil
filter system using fram HP1 racing oil filter and -10 AN hose and
fittings. Added a new water/methanol injection system. Added recording
capability for oil pressure, fuel pressure, exhaust back pressure at the
turbo to go along with recording the Manifold pressure, which I already
had.  Rewired the 0 - 300 mph speedo and will calibrate that when I tow
to inspection area.   I did not go to the chassis dyno this year because
it is over in Las Vegas and for the past two  years I didn't ge much out
of it.

About a month ago or maybe a bit more, I fired it all up and for
something that had been sitting for quite a while, It started an dran
fine. When I buzzed it a bit, 2000 rpm, i tgot enough smoke and fresh
oil out the turbo hot side that I decided it was fubared and replaced it
with a borrowed T70. Then during a check of the waste gates, I found
that one of the internal diaphrams had a hole in it letting the boost
presure go from the bottom to th etop and that effectively  held both
waste gates fully closed. No wonder it wouldn't rev, the exhaust had no
place to go except through those very dinky T3 turbine housings (0.63)
which equates to a exhaust pipe of about 0.9 inches in diameter.  All
hat is behind me for now. It's show time!

For any of you that may want to wander out to Wendover, UT, we'll be
located in the big red 34 ft box trailer with teh spirit of sunbeam logo
on the front and sides and my tow truck has  "mayf" on the tailgate. The
August Speed Week is for sure a specacle and all you motor and gear
heads should make that pilgrimage at least once. Right now there are
more than 500 vehicles scheduled to run. Inspection starts on Sunday,
course opens on Mondy after the mandatory driver's meeting which shul
dbe around 10:30 am (Wendover, UT time).  we generally do not ry and be
the first on the course becaus eI like to watch a couple of cars to see
how they are doing on the salt..

We will be at the Wendover Nugget..

we wil lbe monioring or drmayf@yahoo.com email during th etime we are gone.

ya'll come on down!