[Tigers] today on the new engine

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] today on the new engine
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:21:41 EDT
I was out today trying to get some miles on the new engine.  I  have probably
done about 250.  I was on a  country road  today and missed a turn. So, I
pulled into a driveway, began backing out  and the whole car got surrounded in
smoke. I was in the middle of the road near  a curve  and knew I had to at
least
get off the road.  I pulled ahead  in a cloud of smoke, glanced down at the
oil pressure gauge and it was at zero.  You can imagine what was going through
my head. I pulled ahead 50  feet, shut the engine off and coasted down a hill
to a parking area in front of  a restaurant. Upon lifting the hood I
discovered everything covered in  oil.
  There was no sense in checking the dipstick because with oil  all around
and on the ground I knew I had lost plenty and also knew whatever it  was I
couldn't fix it there.  I called AAA for a flatbed and they got me  the 35
miles
home.
    I got thinking that the engine had been  running great with no strange
noises so it couldn't have blown a hole anywhere.  I had the car on the lift
yesterday so I knew that nothing was leaking.   There are just very few
external
places where this engine can leak.  Maybe  the oil pan seeping or something,
but not a real leak like this. I narrowed it  down in my head to 3
possibilities...a  loose or leaking oil filter, a  leaking oil pressure sending
line or a
loose or lost drain plug.
    When I got home the first thing I did was  reach down for the oil sending
line...it was dangling!  It had popped off  the fitting at the engine end.
    So, lesson learned.  I had this  new plastic line that I had purchased
last year from one of the  suppliers..either CAT or SS..can't remember which.
Someone had written in  recently saying that we should never use the plastic
one since a flexible  stainless model is available. Well, I figured I had the
plastic one and the  original one had lasted 40+ years so...........  Of course
with paying for  the tow I could have bought a few new metal lines.  I guess
the advice  is...even if you have a new plastic one...throw it and get a metal
version.
    The good news is I doubt that any harm was  done to the new engine.
After the car set for a while I checked the oil  level and it was only down
about
1/2 quart.  I can tell you that when a 1/2  quart is blown all over the engine
and dripping on the ground that it looks like  about 10 quarts. At least my
mind was eased in knowing that the engine had not  been running without oil.
    Sure hope that you all had a less eventful  day;-)
Mark L.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)