[Tigers] Not Tiger related,

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Not Tiger related,
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:19:23 -0500
Part 2 of 2

Now here is where it gets sticky...right after building it up this last time,
about a year ago....I got it running, and drove it.... put about 50 miles on
it, it drove great and all looked good. I decided to give it some gas. I was
out in my neighborhood here the back roads of Oklahoma, brought the car to a
stop and jumped on it pretty hard. It instantly made a loud snapping
sound...followed by a huge vibration problem...I got out and looked it over
but couldn't see anything. I limped it home a couple of miles. When I put it
on the lift I noticed the bell housing to the automatic transmission was
broken completely off the case. Cut its throat ear to ear as they say...it
broke from the corner near the pan all the way over to the other corner, and
when I removed it the transmission cam out in 2 pieces....like a manual...lol.
After pouring over it for a week or two, I couldn't find anything wrong. I
took the transmission and stall up to the transmission shop in town, very
reputable, done lots of work with them. They built me up a street strip 350
turbo, with plenty of go fast guts and goodies...installed it in the car and
went back to driving. This time I put about 150 miles on it.....hadn't yet got
" on it" very hard, but....one night some kid in his trans am was egging me
on...so I take it kinda easy but still rolled on to it pretty hard, and went
to grabbing gears....when the car came to a stop that same vibration was
there...and it bad broken the transmission again. I put a 3rd trans in it but
haven't gotten on it since, and that was 6 months ago. I have asked everyone I
know, and they all say chassis flex and I must have solid motor
mounts....which is incorrect. I have plain jane rubber mounts, which aren't
broken, and a rubber mount on the transmission cross member. I have had the
chassis looked at by 2 of the most reputable chassis guys I know, and both
think it looks fine, or at least shouldn't cause this problem. My 4 link wont
let the rear end rotate, the driveshaft isn't thrusting into the tranny...the
car aligns great, the chassis is straight and true. Any suggestions to my
issue (besides that it's a Chevrolet!) would be appreciated.....

Thanks again in advance...
Cullen