Re: [Tigers] Tiger Insurance ?

To: sralsten@ca.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Insurance ?
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:32:08 -0400
   Steve:
   If  you have had a good experience with Allstate, then you should feel
   lucky.   When I bought my Tiger in Oct. of 1966, I had just turned 25.
   Up until then I had had my insurance through my Dad's policy which was
   with Allstate.  Being that the Tiger was my first new car and that the
   insurance  companies  would  no  longer  charge a fee for an "underage
   driver",  I  decided  to  get  my  own insurance.  My uncle was a vice
   president  with  Aetna,  so I asked him if one company was better than
   another  and  his reply was that they were all the same.  So, I signed
   up  with  Allstate  and had my policy with them for 40 straight years.
   Over  that  time, I and the other members of my family, have had a few
   claims,  mostly  not  our  fault  and  were treated reasonably well by
   Allstate.   Two  years  ago,  however, I got my bill from Allstate and
   noted  that  it  had gone up by about 50%.  In the past five years, my
   wife  and  I had had two "reportable incidents".  One in which someone
   backed  into  my  car in a parking lot when the car was parked with no
   one  in  it  and the second when a guy made a left turn in front of my
   wife  while  he was "blinded by the sun".  He admitted he was at fault
   and  his  insurance  paid.   So  I was a bit baffled by the rise in my
   rates.  On questioning Allstate, they offered no explanation just that
   "those  are our rates".  I did some comparison shopping and found that
   other  companies  would  offer  me  the  same  coverage for about half
   Allstate's  price.   When  I brought this up with Allstate and pointed
   out  that  I  had  been  a good customer for 40 years, them hemmed and
   hawed  and  dropped  their  price somewhat but nowhere near what other
   companies  offered.   So much for loyalty to the customer!  I now have
   my  policy  with another company.  Although I have no proof, I find it
   interesting  that, at the time, I had just reached, by some measure, a
   milestone  in life (i.e. do the math, 25 + 40).  Could this be another
   instance of age discrimination?  You be the judge.
   All  that  having  been  said,  I hope it is not politically incorrect
   (;>)).   I  have  my  Tiger  insurance through another carrier (one of
   those  which  specializes  in  older cars).  The rates are much better
   than what you can get through the usual companies.
   My advice is to shop around.
   Tod
   B382002384LRXFE