Re: [Tigers] Ebay Madness - Ron Davis Radiator ends...

To: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ebay Madness - Ron Davis Radiator ends...
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:38:54 -0500
It took me a few days to digest this last comment, and I've decided you are
correct, that it would be also inappropriate to ask the seller to sell the
item outside of ebay under typical circumstances. In fact, ebay rules dictate
that this not be done. There is however another scenario that is similar that
is in my opinion approaching legitimate. According to ebay standards, rules
and regulations, the seller can change his opening bidding price, the buy it
now price, add a buy it now price or change the format of his auction ( i.e. a
buy it now type, best offer type, auction type...etc.) all before the first
bid is made on the item. Ebay actually allows people to end auctions early if
the item is for sale locally...the problem is that people use that as a
keyword or implied term most of the time to welcome outside offers. But if you
are selling a car on a street corner, and running in the auction, it actually
is truly appropriate to end the auction according to ebay....all except the
last 24 hours of the auction, then that option is revoked.

When I offered to buy the radiator, it was before any bids had been made, and
the seller told me he would lower the buy it now price and I would have the
opportunity to purchase it legitimately at that time. The only questionable
element to this process would be me contacting him about the offer, but then
again, ebay has provisions to ask the seller questions about item description,
how to pay, when to pay, how to ship, shipping costs, etc....specifically. So
not to justify this but I feel there are some grey areas to this concept.
Point is, before any other bids have been made, there are not near as many
rules as after the first bid is made....and those same rules change again,
when the auction nears its ending.

BTW, the radiator sold for 635.00...+ shipping. That's a hundred bucks over
the cost of a new one. I think we saw this coming, and personally I feel sorry
for the poor sap that couldn't stop hitting the bid button when the deal no
longer became advantageous.

Cullen

I guess you also have to look at the fact that you are doing the wrong thing
too. If it doesnt have a buy it now price and you try and buy it outside the
auction you and the seller are both i nthe wrong.

As for new stff selling for more than its cost.. the traction master cars are
my favourite, i thin the sellers name is hjimports55 or some such.. sells
"original" traction masters with an opening bid of $175, i have seen these go
on his auctions for 3-400+... he is buying them from traction master in USA
for 175+35 shipping!