[Tigers] Gauge Cleaning

To: TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: [Tigers] Gauge Cleaning
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:35:24 -0700
Sunbeamers:
One of my Tiger projects this winter will be to again remove all the
gauges and clean the inside of the glass and paint the needles as
needed. I've done this at least four or five times through my years of
Sunbeaming. Anyone else who has done this "little" job knows how much
"fun" it is, especially with the oil gauge.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the inside of the gauges from
getting that "haze" or whatever it is that develops on the inside of the
glass? A couple of sprays with Windex and it's gone, but it takes hours
to get the gauges out, apart, and back in again. I wonder if there's
something that's been come up with that can be applied to the inside
surface of the glass that will prevent the haze from building up. Has
anyone tried Rainex, or something like it?

Also, every time I do this job I keep thinking there must (??) be a way
to maybe just loosen the attaching brackets to the gauges behind the
dash a bit, push the gauge forward just enough to "spin" the chrome
bezel off, clean the inside of the glass, and re-install without having
to completely remove the gauge and unclip the wiring. Has anyone done
this successfully, and if so, how did you do it?

As usual, thanks for any suggestions.

Steve Sage

Database version: 5.10760e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/