Re: [Tigers] Mobil1

To: tym2@comcast.net, Tiger's List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mobil1
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
While Mobil 1 and other synth oils are great, the are not so good for older
cars. It is mainly that they are too slick to rotate the lifters and they end
up with flat cam lobes. Some people have been runing it for years, but enough
people have had problems to make me thing otherwise. The oil essentially works
too good. This is true for cars with flat tappets not rollers. Also much of
the new EPA oil has reduced additive package (zinc, etc) which is not good for
our engines they like the zinc and other metals. Racing oils often have much
more of it and you will see some oils already have 'not for street use'
warning. I have been running diesel truck oil in my cars for a long time with
no problems (none with regular oil either). In the the race car I use Racing
41 from Royal Purple or Synthetic Delvac 1 from Mobil. Do some web searching
you will find out a lot about what make oil good as well as the raging war of
Synthetic vs. Non. I do know you can run
 a motor on Royal Purple 41 without oil pressure for about 30 Seconds flat out
before the engine seiezes up...

Sandy