Re: [Tigers] Mobil1/ Zinc additives

To: <AAAGLASSS@aol.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mobil1/ Zinc additives
From: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 05:51:15 -0700
Moss Motors offers something called Collectors Choice Engine Oil with
added Zinc for about $7.00 a quart--and a caveat that it isn't to be
used for cars with Catalytic converters (the Zinc and phosphorous in
ZDDP shortens Converter lifespan, which is the primary reason why it was
discontinued from most motor oils, and which I just noticed was already
mentioned below--grin).

With reference to Mayf's earlier post about ZDDP additive (don't know if
you sent a follow-up, Mayf--if so, I didn't receive it either, so if I'm
covering the same ground over again, sorry!), Moss also sells that for
$11.00 a bottle.  At one bottle per oil change, its six-of-one,
half-dozen-of-the-other whether you go with the additive or the oil that
already has the zinc.  There's those who don't believe in oil additives
of any kind and want the oil to already have 'the right stuff', and
those who are okay with additives.  Pick your poison.

Two other oils that are made with more zinc than the law allows (listed,
I believe, as racing oils) are Brad Penn and Torco.  The Torco company
also sells bottles of ZDDP additive.
I believe the Brad Penn is a semi-synthetic blend of conventional oils
and synthetics--and, of course, the Zinc.
Not sure about the Torco oil.

The local mechanic that does most of the local Miata clubs cars says
he's shifted to Torco products for all the cars he works on.  He feels
that even newer mid- and late-ninties engines are at risk with this drop
in Zinc content.  His logic goes: "the cost to replace a converter a
little more frequently is cheaper than rebuilding an engine."

Best Regards
David Sosna