[Tigers] Brabham's Sunbeam Hype

To: <ross_hulse@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Brabham's Sunbeam Hype
From: "Jeffrey Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:24:10 -0500
"I will have Mark II headlight rims and the
letters on the trunk will spell BRABHAM.  I read a story someplace that told
the tale of Brabham, Phil Hill, and Chris Amon all owned Tigers and raced
each other from FI track to F1 track around Europe.  The story goes Brabham
used letters from a HUMBER to spell his name on the trunk lid.  I don't know
if the story is true but it makes for interesting discussion at car shows."

There is a article in Autocar 12/09/66 where Chris Amon talks about his owner
experience with a Sunbeam Tiger. You can find it in the Brooklands book.  I
never heard the story about Phil Hill and Jack Brabham owning Tigers.   I have
a interesting,  large format,  12 page brochure called the "Sunbeam Story" and
Jack Brabham has a page to himself.  On the page there is a photo of him in a
Sunbeam Rapier and he extolls the virtues of  the "Rally-bred Sunbeam".   Jack
is quoted through out the brochure so he must have been under contract at
least in the early 1960's to Rootes.  It may  have been published in early
1961 because it mentions various races that Sunbeams won from 1952 to 1961 but
the Le Mans  Index of Performance is left out.

                                                       Jeff