Re: [Tigers] big rubber gas-tank filler tube

To: Rollright@aol.com, CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] big rubber gas-tank filler tube
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:28:02 -0400
All good advice as usual from the Tiger list gurus.

But here's a trick from my motorcycle wrenching days for removing rubber
parts. (There are lots of rubber tubes that need separating from their metal
counterparts on bikes.....for example footpeg rubbers, handlebar grips,
etc.)

 Get a can of "Spark Plug and Contact Cleaner" from your nearest bike
dealer. (Not brake cleaner - its not the same thing!) Slide a thin
screwdriver blade down between the rubber tube and the metal part -  slip
the long spray tube down beside the screwdriver and give 'er a squirt. Pull
the screwdriver out, twist the rubber a bit and presto, off it comes. This
cleaner is extremely volatile, so it evaporates almost instantly, leaving
all the parts as they were. It also works well when installing the new part.
When the
cleaner evaporates, it leaves the rubber stuck securely until the next time.

This can of magic elixir is good for all manner of corrective procedures -
like removing grease from the living room carpet ( ask me how I know...)
also your suit pants and shirt (what are you doing in the garage with your
suit on!!!) cleaning oil drips from your patio bricks and concrete, not to
mention cleaning the points on your concours original distributor. Never
bothered much with the spark plugs though...

The problem with silicone and similar lubricants is that they stay slippery,
making long-term security of the joint uncertain. (Really not good when a
handgrip comes off a motorcycle in a particularly physical maneuver!)

Dave
ps Don't breathe the stuff or get it on your hands. Anything that works this
good can't be good for you!