Re: [Tigers] Fw: motor placement from down under

To: rtscolgan@yahoo.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fw: motor placement from down under
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:00:41 EST
That's a common method.  I assume you will have removed the
crossmember.  Two guys can roll the car on the rear wheels,
like a wheel barrow, until its over the engine.  Then put jack
stands on the frame just behind the wheel opening. Make sure
the body is high enough to clear the cross member and front
spindles.

If your have not done so  Resurface the pressure plate,  replace
the clutch. throw out bearing and pilot bearing. You'll regret it
if you don't.

I assume the hood and radiator are out.

Position the engine lift and attach to the engine  Lift the  engine
until a small hydraulic jack can be placed under the trans.
Plug the trans to keep fluid from leaking out.  A rag will do.
You should have filled the trans when it was on the ground.

Have you buddy jack the trans as you lift the engine. Once
into the engine bay, lower the trans slightly to angle the
engine up and move the engine into the radiator opening
This should allow you to get the trans in position to move
into the trans cavity.  Now roll the engine back until you
can attach the trans to its mounts.  Now lift the engine
until you can attach its mounts.

When attaching the cross member, don't be surprised
if one of the four bolts don't quite line up and want to
cross thread.  That's because the engine weight has spread
the frame rails.  Place a small jack under the oil pan
using a 2x4 to spread the load, and jack the engine
up just enough to take the weight.  Noww all four bolts
will go in corectly.

Been there.  Done that.

Takes as much time to write this as to do.

Dave Johnson

In a message dated 11/22/2008 9:05:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,