Re: [Tigers] FW: YOUR TIRES ~~ DRIVERS...PLEASE WATCH THIS...VERY

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <sganz@pacbell.net>, <TIGERS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] FW: YOUR TIRES ~~ DRIVERS...PLEASE WATCH THIS...VERY
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:21:16 -0700
If I was a tire store owner and concerned both about my customers'
safety and about keeping my profit margin in the black, I'd train my
staff as follows:

1. When receiving tires from the wholesaler or manufacturer, make sure
they're not shipping you old date codes - let's say nothing more than
one year old. Some manufacturers make only one or two batches of tires
in certain compounds per year, so you could easily get the 'latest' that
the manufacturer has on hand and still have it be up to a year old.
2. When mounting tires on a customer's car, make sure they're all from
the same original lot, and make sure they're from the oldest stock you
have in the store, provided that the tires are still not more than two
years old. That way you get the old tires out on the road, and at the
same time make sure that no one is getting tires that will expire from
age before they've also accumulated a decent amount of tread wear.
3. Keep the minimum of stock on hand so that all your inventory turns
over within 12 months at the most. This would include just not stocking
certain oddball tire sizes.

When I go get tires for my vehicles, the tire store typically has to get
them delivered from the Calgary area warehouse, which implies that they
are practicing rule #3 to some extent at least. That warehouse services
about a dozen stores in the area.
At lunch I checked the date code on one of my Echo's tires. It was 4606,
and I got them in August 07. So the tires were nine months old when they
were mounted. I'm okay with that. I've never asked to inspect new tires
for date codes before they got mounted - but I've never really worried
about the tire shop I've been using either.

If I mail-ordered some tires then you can be sure I'd return them if
they were over a certain age.

Theo