Re: [Tigers] FW: YOUR TIRES ~~ DRIVERS...PLEASE WATCH THIS...VERY

To: <TIGERS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] FW: YOUR TIRES ~~ DRIVERS...PLEASE WATCH THIS...VERY
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:32:18 -0500
        This is one of those subjects that we all need to be aware of and
understand for safety sake.
It is always a good idea to check all your tires for sidewall and inner
tread cracks every year.
I'm not sure that age is a total indicator of the condition of tires but it
is one of the factors.
It is also my understanding that tires fresh out of the molds need to age
for a give amount of time before distribution.

Tire Rack has some good information on their web site; here are some of
them.

Tire Age:
        There is a date code molded into every tire and you should know how
to read the code.
Please note that most tire shop will not guarantee tires longer than 5
years.   Additionally as tires age the rubber tends to crack.    Sidewall
surface cracks are generally OK but deeper cracks in the sidewall or the
tread can be BAD.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&currentpage=1
Date code

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138&currentpage=3