Re: [Tigers] Cash for Clunkers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cash for Clunkers
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:36:12 -0800
Yep, same thing over at FordPinto.Com .  As best I can tell SEMA is concern
that once there is a mass removal of older cars that the driving force
behind "old car restoration" (the cars themselves)  the need for products
sold by SEMA members will diminish.

 At least as it relates to California and the smog laws here the effect
would seem to be minimal.  As one who frequents wrecking yards 1975 and
older cars (the California "no smog" cut off year) represent maybe 2%-3% of
the cars available. Most cars newer than this are not considered collector
cars. So, anything newer would have to comply with smog laws and who really
is selling "performance" stuff that doesn't have smog law ramifications for
newer cars?

They make the statement, "The programs also risk destroying classic,
historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage."  What post
1975 cars have any notoriety??? The Buick Grand National, Shelby Turbo 2.2
Chryslers.  Maybe a few more, but the vast majority of older cars are just
that - old cars. They have no historical value, would eventually wind up in
a junk yard anyway and in the yard actually become a condensed source of
parts.

Finally California already offers a clunker car buy out.  The car has to be:
  1.. Is drivable and complete. Must be able to start, restart, move
forward, and move backward.
  2.. Is free of liens.
  3.. Is currently registered and has been registered for the last two years
in specific counties only and of certain years:
South Coast AQMD:

  a.. $1000 for 1981 and older vehicles
  b.. $500 for 1982 - 1984 vehicles
Bay Area AQMD

  a.. $750 for 1987 and older vehicles
So, if the California Clunker Car deal is any model there is a lot more to
it that one thinks.

Anyway, I'm not a "Green Guy" and I'm not against SEMA.  But, I do think you
need to fight your battles properly.  From my perspective it seems like more
panic than needed.  If I'm missing something, let me know. I'm willing to
listen.
Tom

[demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send
plain text.]
Internal Virus Database is out of date.
10:48 AM