Re: [Tigers] hard-top questions

To: <Rollright@aol.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] hard-top questions
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:12:59 -0500
Jim
        All hard tops were painted black if there were ordered separately;
if it was ordered with the car it was painted the same color as the car.

The paint chooses would be lacquer or enamel.   I'm not exactly sure what
Rootes used but my first guess would be enamel.  Clear coat in the 60's was
custom paint only and a lacquer product I believe.

Your statement that "there is essentially no orange peel on my top" can
happen in several ways.  The paint could have been laid down that way or
delivered from the factory like that, the previous owners used polishing
compound to get to that smooth finish or it was wet sanded and polished.

Rootes color code for Embassy black = 1, Ditzler # 9000, Lucite Lacquer -
99L, Dulux enamel - 93005, Berger code 404.0014, ICI - 122

Any of today's paint can be laid down the same way, almost perfectly smooth
or some orange peel that can be polished out.  It is all in the talent of
the painter and the products used and exactly what you want.

My hard top is painted with basecoat/ clearcoat black.

Ron Fraser