Re: [Tigers] Cowl access ?

To: <sralsten@ca.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cowl access ?
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:14:23 -0500
Steve
        I don't believe there is access without cutting your own opening but
it has been a long time since I looked.

The hood dampers are 1/4" UNF with a lock nut.

        UNF thread is similar but not exactly the same as US standard fine
thread, they are compatible and interchangeable.  The real question here is
what thread is on the replacement parts.

        A 1/4" fine thread tap will cut metal chips if used in this hole
unless it is a UNF tap; a thread chaser might not cut any metal, I don't
have those on hand to try.   I prefer to take an extra 1/4" UNF bolt and cut
2 or 3 flutes down it's length with a Dremel tool and make it the tap for
these threaded holes.   Use some Never Seize on the threads for the new
dampers.

Ron Fraser