[Tigers] Distributor and Other Advice Needed

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Tigers] Distributor and Other Advice Needed
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:25:17 -0700
Hello Tiger Fans:
Jane and I will be Tigering to SUNI this summer so we'll see you all
(hopefully) there. For anyone who hasn't gone to one of these, it's
definitely been worth it in the past.

I just installed my new MSD 8350 distributor (with vacuum advance) on my
289 Tiger and could use some advice from any distributor knowledgeable
people, being the super mechanic that I am. I've used the lightest
advance springs and set initial advance around 15 degrees (suggested by
the speed shop where I bought it). I've since worked on the advance and
set it a bit further forward for some more fun. It still idles great,
starts right up, and pulls well from a stop (except for a bog around
1700-1900 RPM that I think is carb related) and doesn't ping. The power
curve seems to level out sooner than I want though.

The distributor comes with four advance stop bushings to try. The shop
suggested I use the black bushing which adds (according to the chart
that came in the box) about 18 degrees to initial advance, which gives
me probably around 35-38 degrees total advance now. The kit has three
other bushings that will add progressively more total advance so my
question is, how much total advance can a 289 safely use?

On my "bog" around 1700-1900 RPM; is that always caused by secondaries
coming in too soon? I've changed to a stiffer spring in the vacuum
advance pot, but still get a bog. The stiffer spring doesn't seem to
make much difference, if any. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Finally, I've started to hear a little "ticking" noise from under the
hood (my perception anyway), especially under hard acceleration. It's
not from pinging, as far as I can tell. I've had that before and this is
different. You can hear it at idle when cold, but not very noticeable
until I step on it. It was doing this before my distributor change and
was a new noise then. It doesn't seem to affect performance in any way,
other than making me a bit nervous. Is there any way to definitively
diagnose such a noise? Without hearing it I know this is just guess
work, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve Sage

Database version: 5.11660