[Tigers] Lou Anderson Ackerman Angle Upgrade?!??

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Lou Anderson Ackerman Angle Upgrade?!??
From: Chris Richards <cjrichardsauto@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:37:20 -0800 (PST)
I have one here at my shop in Arcata....I would sell or trade for a stock
front suspension with original fulcrim pins....

Chris

From: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fulcrum Pin Failure Cause
To: tigers@autox.team.net
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 11:41 AM

This goes with what Larry said and applies the rule of "every little bit
helps."   The MGB steering arms are a relatively simple and cheap way of
not
correcting, but improving the Ackerman issues in the Tiger.  If one goes
this route know that one of the bolt holes needs to be filed a small amount
to fit.  File the back side of the front hole.  This will move the arm
forward in the desired direction.

I'm not sure where the arms are readily available from, but typically I
fine
at least one MGB during my junk yard sojourns.  I recall paying $3 - $6 each
the last time (about 3 years ago).  By the way, the hardest part of getting
them out is removing the tie rod end.  Do it first (ask me why I know).

Also, while Dale's kit requires the older Midget rack, I have mocked up the

later model rack.   I never completely installed it, but it did seem viable.
It also allowed use of the stock Midget rack clamp (with a few spacers -
washers would probably do).  In Dale's it is a machined parts.  So, if
anyone is of the "tinkering" nature I'll send out a few pictures
of how far
I got.

 The ability to connect the rack ends to the tie rods was the limiting
issues in my progress. The rack/tie rod adapters in Dale's kit won't
work
(even if he was willing to sell them separately).  The later Midget rack has
arms of a smaller diameter.  They were small enough to cause concern until I
saw the same diameter on my 3,500 pound Turbo Coupe.

Tom Witt