[Tigers] non-Tiger/Carbon Fiber

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] non-Tiger/Carbon Fiber
From: vegaslegal@aol.com
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:22:16 -0400
Hey all.? This is marginally car related and not Tiger related at all.? Still,
I believe that this should be written somewhere where it could be searched.?
If any of you have young teenagers you're familiar with school science fairs.?
I worked with my daughter in coming up with an experiment that was actually an
experiment and not building a volcano or reinventing the wheel.?
We [she] fabricated two identical forms of carbon fiber panels.? The only
difference between the two panels was that one panel was wetted-in on?loosely
lain carbon fiber and the other was wetted-in on carbon fiber under tension.?
The hypothesis was that the carbon fiber under tension would be stronger/more
rigid.
Curiously, the results were exactly the opposite.? The carbon fiber panel with
the loose carbon fiber was both stronger and more rigid at about 140% of the
fiber under tension.? As carbon fiber is extremely inelastic and there was only
about 1/4 of a check less material across the 14" span of the panel, I found
this quite surprising.? I can only chalk it up to that nominal thinness in the
panel under tension or an inate characteristic of carbon fiber that makes it
more elastic under tension.
This is also especially useless information because the difficult process
turned out to also be the inferior process.?
Thanks for your ear.

Bob Nersesian
B382000975