[Tigers] Windshield center stud repair

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Windshield center stud repair
From: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:40:13 -0500
I thought I'd share my experience so others may benefit.  One of the problems
I've had in the restoration of my Tiger is the center stud in my windshield
frame was stripped.  I'd tried several methods to repair it without success.
Then I talked with Dale of Dale's Restorations (he rebuilt my steering column
bearings) and asked if he had any words of wisdom.  He told me the center stud
was the easy one - it is just a stud screwed in!  Use a pair of vise grips to
remove it.  Great news.  Unfortunately, after 45 years the soft metal of the
stud wasn't coming out (should have soaked it with PB Blaster).  It just
sheared off.  On to Plan B.  I drilled out the remaining stud, careful not to
drill all the way through.  I was able to tread the hole enough to secure a
1/4" bolt.  I added epoxy for additional strength.  Then I sawed off the head
of the bolt and it was good as new.  Works great.

Jim Pickard
B9473298 ('65 Tiger)
AN5L/12109 ('59 Sprite) - sold
2003 Mini Cooper