Re: [Tigers] brake fluid

To: rande@thecia.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] brake fluid
From: THEO SMIT <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:42:40 -0600
My bottle of Castrol LMA is labeled DOT 4... I figured I'd at least continue
to use a similar family of fluid. I found some Prestone stuff labeled DOT 4,
specified boiling point 478F, and supposedly compatible wherever DOT3 or DOT4
is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

There are at least two different grades of DOT 3 available here: One has a
lower boiling point (375F IIRC), and the other is specified for Ford disc
brake applications and is rated for 550F boiling point. We used to use that
for our racing applications and never really had a brake fluid related problem
that wasn't obviously attributable to some other cause.

It would be nice if the various compatibility issues related to brake fluid
were a little more clear-cut. The worst is that there is a British standard
DOT5.1 that is related to DOT4 fluids, and is completely incompatible with
silicone type DOT5 fluid.

I have British made Hope disc brakes on one of my mountain bikes and of course
they recommend the British brake fluids...

Theo