Re: [Tigers] Drag Racers, Watch Out!!! Not Tiger!

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Drag Racers, Watch Out!!! Not Tiger!
From: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
Oops. I meant $150 a barrel.

--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 11:57 PM

This is an awesome car!!! However, as usual, these people never take into
account all the chemicals and energy required to manufacture the batteries,
let alone to recycle them. All storage and conversion of energy has some kind
and amount of parasitic loss. Granted, the actual driving time creates
practically no emissions, but the fabrication is hazardous and energy
intensive. Why is that never figured into the environmental pollution
equation? And can you imagine the size of the power grid necessary if all of
Los Angeles had to plug in every night?!!! And what about all the batteries
that would have to be manufactured and recycled?!!! And what about all the
chemical spills from all the accidents from all the crazy drivers we have here
in L.A.?!!! and what about ... you get the picture.
A friend of mine just finished converting an S10 pickup to electric. It's got
lots of torque, but it's a trade off between performance and longevity. He's
hoping to gingerly get 50 miles per charge. His 22 batteries weigh 72 lbs
apiece and cost $7,500 and have to be changed every 3 three years and he still
has to pay for the nightly electricity.
I am not against electric vehicles. I just don't think they're the nirvana
everyone in government thinks they are. When oil gets back to $150 a barrel,
they may become financially viable, but until then...! Actually high gas
prices will solve a plethora of problems - more car/van pooling, fewer cars on
the roads, less congestion on the roads, fewer cars manufactured, more people
using public transportation (for which we already pay billions in taxes to
subsidize, whether we use it or not), more people riding motorcycles and
bicycles, more people walking (nobody walks in L.A.), we all might even lose a
few pounds, so less obesity and lower health costs, less dependence on foreign
oil (less money for terrorist), etc., etc., etc. Ironically society screamed
when gas prices were higher than what we were used to and the politicians
responded in kind. What a catch 22!!!
Gary
Boy, are these comments going to get everybody off subject or what?!!!